Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Land that Time Forgot (2009)

The Land that Time Forgot (2009) is the newest offering from powerhouse director C. Thomas Howell. It offers all that you might expect, plus all that you might not expect. For one thing, there are dinosaurs -- huge ones, not those little chicken ones I hate. There are T-rexs and big dinosaur birds called "pterodactyls." They roam a small island also populated by eccentric explorers, Nazis, and C. Thomas Howell.

C.'s crew need to get off the island, but they are eaten one by one, or are assaulted by vicious Nazis out for blood. You see, there is no time in this "land forgotten". Therefore, Nazis still exist. However, they turn out to be good. Finally. A film that takes chances with Nazis. I can't stress enough how refreshing it is to see Nazis portrayed in a positive light. When will we hear their side of the story?

Anyways, C. is accompanied by his lovely wife and a captain who loves dragonflies. They are amazing, and he wants to be carried away by them. There is also a guy named "Stack," or "haystack" as he is often called in the film ("Hey Stack! Get off the ledge!"). Needless to say, he does not survive.



Another guy is played by Vince Vaughn's doppelganger (to borrow a Nazi term), and he sacrifices himself the benefit of the audience, who gets to see his brutal death at the hands of a dinosaur, which explodes. Rarely do I see explosions that so deeply satisfy me, and my hatred for slimy dinos.

What else do we see? Dinos on par with Jurassic Park demo reels. We see oil being refined in real-time. We see Nazis shoot at a T-Rex like they may have shot at Polish Jews only decades earlier. Thankfully they learn the meaning of tolerance when they allow themselves to deal with other whites temporarily. We see C. biting into rotten dino meat. Yum yum. Take that, vegetarians!

All in all I was satisfied with this film. C. Thomas Howell continues to "stay golden," ponyboy. His films are "outside" of my hate zone. I love them. I hope to see more from him, as I likely will. I give this film a resounding "Five Stars" for every friendly Nazi we met in the Land that Time Forgot.

2 comments:

  1. It's this type of attitude toward Nazis that has caused historians to doubt the horrible events of the Holocaust. Why should I want to go see a movie that denies history! History that clearly shows the inferiority of the Nazi race.

    You insult my intelligence and you insult America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pence2cents,

    Again we disagree. Perhaps we need to agree to disagree, and disagree about our disagreement. Then, and only then, can we come to the truth of the matter.

    Some Nazis were bad, but not all of them. In fact I'd say it was a few bad apples in an otherwise tasty orchard. I mean, we'll never know, since we weren't there, but I know some people were, sometime.

    I never want to insult America. America is the land of free eagles. It is my birthplace and I will remain here until it runs out of movies.

    Sincerely,

    Eli

    ReplyDelete